Thursday, February 11, 2010

Back to "School"










When I tell people I have a background in physical therapy, I mean it’s way in the background. I haven’t practiced in 22 years, having put my career on hold to answer a higher calling: raising my family. Furthermore, I let my license lapse over a decade ago. I wasn’t even sure if I’d ever go back into PT, feeling that writing, art and design, hobbies I’ve picked up over the years, would be more “fun.”

The disaster in Haiti, however, somehow brought the planets into alignment for me, not only with PT and French, and the timing in my life. Also coincident is the fact that I have developed my faith in the past few years, and I feel really excited about finding a way to do God’s work. I feel no hesitation in my potential to do something useful in this regard.

With my newfound inspiration, I got on the Internet to learn what it would take to get re-licensed. I quickly learned that I will need to sit for the physical therapy board exam again. No surprise there. The process to regain my license is a bit convoluted. It goes something like this:

• Study. A lot.

• Obtain proof of completion of an accredited PT program, Form P1E, from Duke

• Apply for license to the Physical Therapy Board of California (PTBC). Fee: $415

• Obtain from the PTBC authorization to sit for the PT Board Exam. This gives me a 60-day window in which to take the exam, so I need to time this application so that I’ll be ready for the exam within that window.

• Register with the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) to take
a) The National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE). Fee: $370
b) The California Law Exam, covering laws and regulations related to the practice of physical therapy in California (CLE). Fee: $30

• Schedule the exams through Pro Metric

• Obtain clearance through the Department of Justice and the FBI to be licensed, through Live Scan fingerprinting and criminal record check. This clearance is also only valid for 60 days, so the timing needs to fit with my PTBC license processing.  Fee: $51

• Pass the NPTE (!)

More Internet searching found a review course for the NPTE just a few weeks hence, taking place near my sister Shelly’s home near San Diego. I cleared timing with Shelly, registered for the class, and booked the air travel. First step done. Class fee: $350. Airfare: $147. I’m on my way.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you, Sara! You sound ready, willing and able! I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came from church where a wonderful friend of mine told me she is also going to Haiti- she too, is a PT. She has a couple of hurdles to jump as well, but mainly for her bosses to let her take the time off from her work. I told her about you Sara, and she was excited for you to be able to get your license renewed. Definitely, PT's will be needed for quite some time, I'm sure. I'll be praying for God to clear the paths for you both to be able to go and share your gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, Debe - your friend and I may have to connect to learn how to help with rehab in Haiti! Thanks for your ongoing interest and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you mind if I gave her the address to your Haiti Journal? I know she would love to talk with you. She is a wonderful person- you would love her. She is trying to be able to leave in a couple of weeks, so she can let you know what you can look forward to.
    Andrea is like a part of my family. She took care of our youngest daughter (now 22) from age 9, dealing with spondylolesthesis including two surgeries by age 16. I'm very excited for both of you, and looking forward to reading about your progress in achieving your license again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara

    Just reading your analytical process to this and seeing that your spiritual beliefs are guiding you in this endeavor reminds me so much why we all loved you growing up …… DETERMINATION and DRIVE. You will contribute so much to those that need help and you will continue to spread sunshine to all those that you encounter.

    Something tells me Bill and your sons are awfully proud of you as is your Mom, Dad, Randy and Shelly.

    Keep the focus and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete